If you have a family, you need to get family health insurance. When you’re a parent and you have people depending on you, then it’s a no-brainer.
Just in case you still don’t understand or you’re under the mistaken belief that you don’t need it, here are some compelling reasons to reconsider your decision.
- It’s the law. Getting family insurance is so important that even the government is compelling you to get it. While you may not go to jail if you fail to comply, you’re going to face severe financial penalties. You’ll have to pay almost $700 for every adult over 25 years old in the family who doesn’t have insurance and almost $350 for every child. If you’re a high wage earner, you may have to fork over 2.5% of your income.
- You can’t be denied insurance. You can’t even be forced to pay exorbitant rates, even if you have a preexisting medical condition that will be very expensive to treat. You basically pay the same whether or not you’re already sick.
- These plans provide free wellness checks. This applies to the whole family. For young families with babies, the insurance can really help with the expense of checkups and medicine. Children and adults can get sick, and at least the checkups are free as well. You can get physicals, prostate screenings, and gynecological exams without having to pay for them. All these exams can run up to several hundred dollars if you have to pay for them yourself.
- Even preventive measures are covered. These include all types of immunizations for children, and the yearly flu shot for kids and adults alike. Everyone should be immunized especially children, and now that they’re free there’s no longer any reason not to get vaccinated. These include birth control measures, so that women can be in control of their pregnancies.
For children, free preventive measures include screening for alcohol and drug use, autism, behavioral issues, blood pressure, depression, hearing (for newborns), and obesity.
- Mental healthcare is covered. In fact, these plans also cover substance abuse treatments as well as counseling and psychotherapy. Adults can be screened for depression and obesity, and get free counseling to help them quit smoking.
- Even pediatric dental care is part of the deal. Every parent knows how expensive dental care can get for children. As they get older they lose teeth, have cavities and may need braces.. The health insurance can cover a large portion of these expenses so that the oral health of children can be maintained.
- It’s very affordable. Health insurance doesn’t have to be expensive. In some cases, you may even get government subsidies so that you’ll be able to afford your premiums.
Family insurance policies don’t have to be expensive. You can decide on the level of coverage you need. Some plans cover outpatient and inpatient treatment while others only cover hospitalization expenses. Just like other kinds of health plans, you will need to pay a monthly premium and if any treatment is needed which is covered by your policy, then your insurance provider will pay out up to the limits it has specified under your plan.
It’s also important to remember that insurance policy premiums can be more expensive the older you get.
Regardless of which family health plan you choose, there’s no excuse for not getting family health insurance. If you have a family you’re responsible for, getting health coverage is a must.